All of our jobs are based in Louth/ Meath/ Cavan/ Monaghan/ North Dublin.
Job Title: Senior Scientist (Fermentation)
The Senior Scientist is a key role within the Horticulture Research Programme. Reporting to the Fermentation Lead the Senior Scientist will drive forward sustainability research for the mushroom and wider horticulture industries.
- Providing technical leadership in the development of scalable and cost-effective fermentation processes for microbial products
- Planning and conducting fermentation research and experiments to improve the yield of desirable biomass and bioactivities of various beneficial bacteria and fungi
- Producing high quality materials through fermentation for formulation and field development
- Developing process SOPs and specifications for scale up and manufacture
- Collaborating with other scientists, and technicians in molecular/microbiology, field development and formulation.
- Management of key milestones for a number of research projects
- Development of technical reports and presentation of data to team members and other stakeholders, including company executives
Competencies to perform the role
- Communication: Must have excellent interpersonal and presentation skills;
- Analytical and problem solving skills: Follow systematic root cause problem solving and troubleshooting to resolve out of specification data.
- Growth: A thirst to learn, grow and keep in touch with innovation within the wider industry;
- Organisation: Highly efficient administration, detail focussed and exacting on time.
- Research standards: conduct research according to the general principles of good research based on honesty, cooperation and responsibility on accurate data acquisition and storage and managing appropriately any conflicts of interest.
Experience and Qualifications
- Relevant third level degree from the following subject areas: MSc in a relevant scientific discipline (e.g. Biotechnology, Microbial Fermentation, Microbiology, Biochemistry, etc.)
- PhD in a biochemical or biotechnological area will be highly desirable.
- Proven industry experience working with fermentation processes, media development, scale-up and analytical methods is required for this position.
- Proven experience in optimisation of Fermentations for a variety of microorganisms (Bacterial, yeast (recombinant) and Fungal.
- Trouble-shooting skills in the context of fermentation and downstream processing
- Project management experience is required
- A proven track record in research will be advantageous.
- Possess excellent computer skills including databases, excel, word and statistical packages.
- Possess excellent communication skills (both written and verbal), excellent interpersonal and presentation skills as well as being team focused.
- Proven record of attention to detail and work with a sense of urgency yet have the ability to be impartial and objective.
Other Significant Role Requirements:
- Must be flexible in terms of working hours to ensure deliverables are achieved on time.
- It is required that the Senior Scientist holds a driving license to travel in order to achieve deliverables.
- The suitable applicant must be enthusiastic and bring an energy to the wider team.
- Must be flexible regarding assigned tasks.
If you are interested in the above role, please upload your CV to www.recruitmentbureau.com web page quoting reference KR/282
At The Recruitment Bureau, we respect your privacy. Your CV will not be forwarded to a client company without your consent.